US Elections 2016: Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States of America.

-

The improbable arrival of an outsider to the White House is now a reality. After several weeks of polling giving the advantage to the Democratic candidate Hilary Clinton, when the election day started Democrats were sufficiently confident to expect that the day was going to remain a historical one. The day in which America could have elected the first woman to the White House. Far from that, it will remain as  the day in which a twisted, controversial and nationalist campaign won the election. Media are astonished ‘That he has prevailed, that he has won this election, is a crushing blow to the spirit,’[1] Trump’s populist outbreak led him to ‘an election night victory that revealed deep anti-establishment anger among American voters and set the world on a journey into the political unknown’.[2] Markets are plumbing[3], Canadian immigration site is crashing.

Nevertheless, at this moment some divergences remain about the exact number of votes, according to CNN the Republican candidate held 47.7% of the popular vote and he won 289  electoral votes which are 71 more than his opponent. The polls played the public again, just like it happened during the BREXIT campaign. Clinton had 85% of chances to win this election against 15% for the Republican candidate who started the day by filing a lawsuit seeking to have Nevada votes impounded.

After polls closed, the margins separating the two candidates were extremely narrow, the Republican candidate was taking the lead and the eyes of all its citizens were focused with increasing alarm in some States that were gonna determine the outcome. Voters showed how extremely polarized American electorate is and how dark and pessimistic they think their future would be. By choosing Donald Trump they made a clear statement against Washington.

Looking at the electoral map both candidates assured expected victories, Mrs. Clinton won in Illinois, New York, Maryland, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Delaware, as well as the District of Columbia, the big State of California and candidate Trump won in South Dakota, Wyoming, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, Arkansas, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Tennessee. However, just after 11:30  pm the Republican candidate was declared the winer in Florida which gave him 29 electoral votes,  by this time people started to think: ‘he might actually win’, videos of Clinton supporters crying and devastated started to monopolize the screen of televisions. After wining in North Carolina with 50.5% Trump only had to win one of three battleground states Michigan, Wisconsin or Pennsylvania. Wisconsin was considered a swing State but Michigan a blue one, just like Ohio these were the big loses of Clinton. Ohio voted for Obama in the past two elections and Michigan, one of the States touched the most by the decline in manufacturing jobs was lost by Clinton to Sanders in the primaries and this night was surprisingly won by Trump. For a moment people thought about the possibility of a tie, with both candidates stuck at 269, in which case the House of Representatives would vote to choose the next president. However, one of the most improbable victories in the history of politics was achieved and Donal trump got over 270 electoral votes.

The  great winner of the day is the GOP not only the Republicans won the White House, but also the party kept control of the Senate. Indeed, the President elected will enjoy from a GOP controlled Congress, but how would they work together remains to be defined, specially taking into account the tensions between the candidate and the sitting House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

At the end of the day, it seems that the only thing that can be said is what Mike Pence, next Vice President stated in the first official Republican response: ‘the American people have elected their new champion’[4]. As Americans’ future appears uncertain the question is, did they need a champion or a President?

 

Jimena Leyva and Mathilde Prévost.


[1] David Remnick,  An American Tragedy The New Yorker 2016.

[2] Dan Roberts, Sabrina Siddiqui, Ben Jacobs and Lauren Gambino, ‘Donald Trump wins presidential election, plunging US into uncertain future, The Guardian 2016.

[3] Antoine Gara, Republican Donald Trump Is Elected President Of United States And Global Markets Plunge, Forbes 2016.

[4] http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000566544

GSI Consulting

Junior conseil du Master 2 Diplomatie et négociations stratégiques